1. Natural Background & Boundaries
Kakinada district which is newly formed has boundary with Anakapalli district and Alluri Sitaramaraju district on the north, East Godavari district on the south. Konaseema District on South and Bay of Bengal in the East.
2. Demographic particulars
There are 2 Revenue Divisions with Head Quarters at Kakinada, Peddapuram. The District consists 21 Revenue Mandals and 21 Mandal Parishads. 385 Gram Panchayats exist in the District.
There are 1 Municipal Corporation viz., Kakinada as well as 4 Municipalities samalkot, Pithapuram, Peddapuram, Tuni, 2 Nagar Panchayats, i.e., Yeleswaram, Gollaprolu.
As per 2011 Census, this district having 395 inhabited villages, 20 un-inhabited villages. Total population is 20.92 lakhs and the Geographical area is 3020 Sq. Kms. Kakinada District is one of the most populous with density-populated District in the State. The density of Population is 693 per Sq. Km.
3. Land Utilization:
The total Geographical area of the District is 3.01979 Lakh Hect. During 2019-20 the area covered by Forest is 0.33 Lakh Hects., which forms 10.92% to the total geographical area. The rest is distributed among Barren and uncultivable land about 4.66% and Land put to Non- agricultural uses about 20.10%. The Net area Sown is 1.53 Lakh Hects., forming 50.69% to the total geographical area. The total cropped area in the district is 2.42 Lakh Hects. The area sown more than once is 0.88 Lakh Hects.
4. Natural Resources
Rivers : The Principal Rivers flowing in the District is Godavari and Pushkara. The Yeleru, Thandava and Pampa river channels supply water to a limited area in the District.
Climate and Rainfall : The climate is comparatively equitable and although it is very warm in May with a maximum temperature of 38.9 0c and with a minimum temperature of 19.90c in the month of January. The actual Rainfall received is 1008.0 m.m. as against the normal rainfall 1140.2 m.m. from June 2019 to May 2020. The % of deviation over normal is below -10.1 %. More than half of the Annual rainfall 615.1 m.m. covered during South West Monsoon period from June to September while the large portion of the rest i.e. 258.4 m.m. received during the North East Monsoon period i.e. from October to December 2019.
5. Developmental Activities
The net area cultivated during 2019-20 is 158867 Hec. including fish ponds which accounting 52.54 % of the total Geographical area of the district.
The proposed Polavaram Project across Godavari also serves the needs of kakinada Districts. The Yeleru Irrigation channels covers Peddapuram, Pithapuram, Prathipadu, Jaggampeta, Kirlampudi and Yeleswaram Mandals. The Thandava and Pampa river channels supply water to a limited number of villages in Tuni, Thondangi & Kotananduru Mandals. In upland area there are a few irrigation tanks fed by hill streams. All other tanks, mainly depends on rain. A good number of tube wells were sunk to supplement ground water irrigationlike in uplands Mandals, Surampalem Project is in use and Bhupathipalem, Musurumilli irrigation projects are also in use at agency area.
Presently the colleges in Kakinada Districts are affiliated to Adikavi Nannayya University Rajamahendravaram, Kakinada and Jawaharlal Nehru Technological Deemed University in Kakinada. There are 1128 Primary Schools, 378 Upper Primary Schools, 495 High Schools are functioning in the districts under different Managements. 4046 Teachers working in Primary School, 2399 working in the UP School and 5670 Teachers in High Schools. There are 87 Junior colleges employing 1091 Lecturers. Enrolment is 97143 in Elementary Schools, 42947 in U.P. Schools and 163545 in High Schools.
D. Industries, SEZs
Rice, Sugar, Fertilizers, Paper and Textiles are the large and medium scale industries in the district. There are small-scale industries like agro-based industries, chemical, ceramic, light engineering, Non-Ferrous metals, leather etc. In the private sector there are 1 Textile manufacturing units, one Sugar Factories, 5 Paper and Paper products manufacturing units. There are two large-scale fertilizers and chemicals factories at Kakinada viz. Nagarjuna and Coromandal Fertilizers. There are two Industrial Estates in the District at Samalkota, Kakinada. A number of edible oil packing industries are also established in Kakinada.
The Kakinada Special Economic Zone (KSEZ) will soon have an exclusive of 2000 crores deepwater port for importing and exporting petroleum, biotech, agricultural and other products. There are 34 large and medium scale industries existing in Kakinada District. They are functioning with a total investment of Rs. 13.00 lakhs duly employing 21712 workers. 320 Smal Scale industries existing with 2424 workers employeed. A total number of 972 factories are functioning which are registered under factories act, 1948 and there are 53358 workers employed in them comprising 33694 Male and 19664 Female workers.
E. Transport and Communications
The District is served by Rail line (Broad guage) which Single line from Kakinada to Samalkota covering a distance of 50 Km. People have to depend upon Road Transport. All most all the places in the District are connected well laid roads. The movement of passengers and Transport of goods to several parts of the State have become easy National Highways i.e. (NH216) are passing through this district with a length of 186.08 Kms.
- Economy : The economy of Kakinada District is mainly agriculture based like Paddy, Banana and Coconut apart from Aquaculture related to shrimps, black tiger prawns, Crabs and fishes, Poultry farms and export of aqua products.
- Information Technology : Kakinada is one of the 4 tier – 1 cities in Andhra Pradesh where Software Technology Parks of India (STPI) setup in 2007. About 12 companies are currently operating in Kakinada and four of them were incubated in the STPI facility. Currently InfoTech Enterprises, a Hyderabad based multinational software company has opened a facility in the STPI, Kakinada with about 120 employees.
- Politics : YSR Congress, TDP, Indian National Congress, CPI, CPI(M), BJP and B.S.P., Loksatta, and Jana Sena are having their presence in the Kakinada District. In Kakinada District there are 7 Assembly Constituencies and one Parliamentary Constituencies.
- Places of interest : The religious temples of Annavaram, Peddapuram, Pithapuram, Samalkota and Tallupulamma Lova are some of the important religions places in the District.
- Archeological Monuments : Pandavulametta of Peddapuram, an Historic Site in 2nd Century Buddhist Monastry at Rampayerravaram.Datta Peetham, Kunthi Madhavaswamy Temple and Kukkuteswara Swami Temple of Eastern Chalukya in 13th Century at Pithapuram are some of the Archeological Monuments and Historical Places in the District. Samalkota is the witness to the culture of Chalukshya dynasty.
- Medical and Health : A total of 67 Hospitals, Primary Health Centers, Mobile Medical units and Dispensaries are existing in the District. There are as many as 516 beds available in the hospitals duly managed by 265 Doctors. There are 9 Ayurvedic, 6 Homeopathy Hospitals & 2 Unani dispensaries in the District.
- Animal Husbandry : The total Live Stock Population is 55.07 lakhs. Out of them, 0.83 lakhs Cattle, 3.03 lakhs Buffaloes, 1.13 lakhs sheep, and 0.97 goats as per Livestock Census 2012.
- Fisheries : Kakinada District has a coastal line of 144 Kms. with a natural Port at Kakinada. There are nearly 571 fishermen Co- Operative Societies in the District. A fishing harbour was constructed in the year 1979 at Kakinada with an estimated cost of Rs. 1141.81 lakhs which provides boating facility to 4201 mechanized fish boats.
- Banking : There are 332 Bank Branches in the Kakinada District, out of them 291 are Nationalised, 15 Co-Operative Banks, 25 are Rural Bank and one are Private Banks.